Finally done!! Here's the butterfly quilt that I gave you a sneak peek of last time.
As you can see, this quilt has way more pieces than any of the quilts I have previously posted. I used 5 inch squares and some smaller scraps to make the 99 butterfly blocks and 44 blocks in the border. It's a great way to use a bunch of scraps. The time it took to complete it put me even more off track of my goal of 55 quilts in in my 55th year. I am 8 quilts behind already! I call this quilt Fluttering Around for two reasons-the block looks like butterflies to me and it describes me right now. Since I have started this challenge, it seems like I have been busier than ever. One major thing that has been happening lately is that we are getting our house ready to sell. We put in new carpet this week and that meant moving 4 bedrooms and 1 living room of furniture and then putting it all back. Very exhausting. A new master bath floor goes in tomorrow morning and then maybe we will have some semblance of normal for awhile. However, having our house on the market means I can't take over half of it with my quilting. I have to get really organized and put everything away so that the house shows well. That is going to be very hard.
Though I think this block looks like butterflies, it is my interpretation of the Beggar's Block. The Beggar's Block is a nine patch block the has a solid square in the center. My block has a butterfly in the center.
It took a lot of trial and error to figure out how I really wanted to construct this quilt. The good news is that I came up with a much easier way to make it as I was going through the design process. I first starting making the blocks using paper piecing and then decided to eliminate that whole process. I made the borders as long strips (which I hate to do) but figured out how to not do that in the future. I also came up with a super simple way to miter the corners. I call it a fake miter. If somebody else has figured this out, I certainly haven't seen it. Here's a quick tutorial-
The border is made up of these blocks. I needed 2 blocks for each corner-1 for the top border and 1 for the side border, for example.
I placed the 2 blocks right side together, drew a line from corner to corner and sewed on the line.
I then cut 1/4" from the sewn line to get my seam. I pressed it open and voila, a mitered corner.
The quilting on this quilt is a custom design by Linda of L&R Designs. I think it's the perfect design to emphasize the butterfly block. The variegated thread is a perfect choice too.